These are just a few from my own library, and if you have some you think worthy of sharing, please let me know. I love to read!
The links to the books below all lead to Amazon.com because as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. It seemed like a convenient way to get you the best price I know of. However, if you trace the author’s book back to its publishing company, then the author gets a better commission, and the publishing company fairs better as well.
For the heart
Intimacy with God
- Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To (Anthony DeStefano)
I am a Protestant, and DeStefano is a Catholic writer, so there are some ways in which he and I do not share the same perspective, or theology. However, I found this book on prayer transforming.
- Practicing the Presence of God (Brother Lawrence)
This book is three hundred years old, yet the truths are timeless.
- The Cloud of Unknowing (Anonymous)
This book comes from the middle ages, and speaks from that Catholic perspective, yet the overall wisdom is worth gleaning.
- The Knowledge of the Holy (AW Tozer)
I included the three-volume work because the other two books are just as important, and included a couple of other Tozer books as well.
- Anything by Hildegard of Bingen
The first book is an overview. She was a mystic who lived a thousand years ago, who wrote poetry, music, and books about her visions from God.
For the mind
- Love Your God With All Your Mind (JP Moreland)
- Heresy: A History of Defending the Truth (Alister McGrath)
- Total Truth (Nancy Pearcey)
If you like science
- Reasons to Believe (website of Hugh Ross)
- The Language of God (Francis Collins)
If you’re into alternatives to traditional church
- Reimagining Church (Frank Viola)
- Pagan Christianity (George Barna and Frank Viola)
- The Rabbit and the Elephant (Tony and Felicity Dale)
- ReJesus (Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch)
And I included more very good reads from Alan Hirsch in terms of re-imagining how we live out being the church, the community of Christ.
Women and the Church
- Beyond Sex Roles (Gilbert Bilezikian)
- Good News for Women (Rebecca Merrill Groothuis)
- I Suffer Not a Woman (Richard and Catherine Clark Kroeger)
- Discovering Biblical Equality (Ronald W Pierce, editor)
- Women and Men in the Light of Eden (Bruce Fleming)
- Familiar Leadership Heresies Uncovered (Bruce Fleming)
- Recovering From Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (Aimee Byrd)
If you’re dealing with spiritual darkness
- The Bondage Breaker and Victory Over the Darkness (Neil Anderson)
- People of the Lie (Scott Peck)
- 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (John Fischer)
If you like devotionals, but are getting tired of same old-same old
Stories that changed me
- The Heavenly Man (Christian Brother Yun)
- Killing Christians (Tom Doyle)
- Created for Commitment (A Wetherell Johnson)
- Christ in the Passover (Ceil and Moishe Rosen)
- Pretty much every Francine Rivers book
Commentary written for real people
- Anything written by Nijay Gupta
- Anything written by Walt Kaiser
- Anything written by Ray Stedman